Special Purpose Private School K-2
Our Special Purpose Private Schools currently teach children in Kindergarten – 2nd grade who require more specialized support than their home school district may be able to offer. Woodfords is expanding its program to include children through 5th grade for the 2021-2022 school year.
Our instructional methods are based on the principles of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA). A behavior analytic approach ensures that we will employ techniques that have an established record of positive results, regularly measure each child’s progress, modify instruction, when appropriate, to ensure continued progress. The program utilizes the following curricula for academic instruction and social/emotional learning:
- Saxon Math Program
- Fountas & Pinnell – Level Literacy Intervention
- Lucy Calkins – Units of Study for Teaching Reading
- Handwriting Without Tears
- Social Thinking
- Zones of Regulation
- Safer Smart Kids
Our program goals include working closely with families to set goals for instruction and ensure consistency between home and school.
- Close gaps between a child’s current level of development and the levels of same-age, typically developing peers.
- Help each child master cooperation, attending, communication, imitation, social, play, self-care, and pre-academic skills he/she will need to be as independent as possible.
- Facilitate transition to typical educational settings.
- Manage unwanted behavior in a positive manner by building skills to replace that behavior.
- Work as an active member of the child’s education and clinical team.
Programs are currently located in Westbrook and on the Pineland campus in New Gloucester. Woodfords is expanding to Waterville for the 2021-2022 school year.
Referrals for this program come through school districts. SPPS placements are an IEP team decision and follow Maine’s Special Education guidelines.
Early Childhood Services & Special Purpose Private Schools